Mr David Anthony Doll
Pomology Farm AdvisorCooperative Extension Merced County
2145 Wardrobe Avenue
Merced, CA 95341-6445
M.S. Plant Pathology, UC Davis. 2008
B.S. Plant Biology, Purdue University. 2004
SpecialtyAlmonds, Pistachios, Walnuts, and Urban Forestry
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Nut Crops
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Management Systems
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Conservation and Efficient Use of Water
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Urban Forestry
- Master Gardeners
- Endemic and Invasive Pests and Diseases
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Gao, S.; Doll, D. (2018). "Emissions and crop response in almond orchards fumigated with reduced rates of Telone C-35 and low permeability film for nematode control." Crop Protection 105(March 2018): 80-89.
- Doll, D. (2017). Almond Water Requirements. Almonds: Botany, production, and uses.. Rafel Socias i Company and Thomas Gradziel. Boston, MA, CABI.
- Zhao, T.; Stark, B. (2017). "Challenges in water stress quantification using small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS): lessons from a growing season of almond." Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 88(2-4): 721-735.
- Taieb Nouri, M.; Holland, L. (2017). "First report of Phytophthora cinnamomi causing trunk canker of almond in California." Plant Disease 102(1)
- Zhao, T.; Chen, Y. (2017). Quantifying almond water stress using unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs): Correlations of stem water potential and higher order moments of non-normalized canopy distribution. ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information Engineering Conference. Cleveland, OH, USA, ASME. 9, 6. August 6-9, 2017.
- Lara, J; Pickett, C (2016). "Biological control program is being developed for brown marmorated stink bug." California Agriculture 70(1): 15-23.
- Doll, D.; Shackel, K. (2016). "Drought management for California almonds." Crop and Soils Magazine 49(2): 28-35.
- Zhao, T.; Stark, B. (2016). More reliable crop water stress quantification using small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS). International Federation of Automatic Control, Elsevier.
- Hillis, V.; Lubell, M. (2016). "The role of pest control advisers in preventative management of grapevine trunk diseases." Phytopathology 106(4): 339-347.
- Holtz, B.; Doll, D. (2016). "Whole almond orchard recycling and the effect on second generation tree growth, soil carbon and fertility." Acta Horticulturae 1112: 315-320.
- Zhao, T.; Stark, B. (2015). A detailed field study of direct correlations between ground truthed crop water stress and normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) from small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS). Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems. Denver, CO, IEEE. 6. 9-12 June, 2015.
- Doll, D.; Shackel, K. (2015) Drought management for California almonds. ANR Publication 8515 10
- Doll, D.; Rolshausen, P. (2015). "First report of Dothiorella iberica causing trunk and scaffold cankers of almond in California." Plant Disease 99(8): 1.
- O'Geen, T. A.; Saal, M (2015). "Soil suitability index identifies potential areas for groundwater banking on agricultural lands." California Agriculture 69(2): 75-84.
- Baumgartner, K.; Doll, D. (2015). "The role of pest control advisors in managing grapevine trunk diseases: a survey of perceptions of practice efficacy and trends in recommendations." Phytopathology 105(S4): 119-O.
- Jones, J.; Doll, D.A. (2014). "Extension Must Adopt Mobile-Friendly Websites." Journal of Extension 52(6): Tools of the Trade.
- Browne, G.T.; Lampinen, B.D. (2013). "Managing the almond and stone fruit replant disease complex with less soil fumigant." California Agriculture 37(3): 128-138.
- Holtz, B.A.; Doll, D.A. (2013). Orchard carbon and nutrient recycling. 6th International Symposium on Almonds and Pistachios. Murcia, Spain.
- Doll, D.A.; Duncan, R. (2013). Performance of six almond rootstocks with long term exposure to sodium and chloride. 6th International Symposium on Almonds and Pistachios. Murcia, Spain.
- Sanden, B.L.; Doll, D.A. (2013). Taking soil samples part 1: FAQS: Who, Where, and When. June 26, 2013.
- Sanden, B.L.; Doll, D.A. (2013). Taking soil samples part 2: soil sampling equipment. June 26, 2013.
- Doll, D.A.; Sanden, B. (2013). Taking soil samples part 3: taking samples in the orchard. June 26, 2013.
- Sanden, B.L.; Doll, D.A. (2013). Taking soil samples part 4: preparing the samples for the lab. June 26, 2013.
- Lampinen, B.D.; Upadhyaya, S.K. (2012). A second generation mobile platform for assessing midday canopy photosynthetically active radiation interception in orchard systems. International Society of Horticultural Science Orchard Systems Conference. Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Smith, D.A.,; Doll, D.A. (2006). "Climatic constraints to the potential of Microsphaeropsis amaranthis as a bioherbicide for common waterhemp." Phytopathology 96(3): 308-312.
- Doll, D.A.; Sojka, P.E. (2005). "Effect of nozzle type and pressure on the efficacy of spray applications of the bioherbicide fungus Microsphaeropsis amaranthi." Weed Technology 19(4): 918-923.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Biological control program is being developed for brown marmorated stink bug
- Soil suitability index identifies potential areas for groundwater banking on agricultural lands
- Managing the almond and stone fruit replant disease complex with less soil fumigant
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Almond - Member
- California Naturalist - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Pistachio - Member
- Plant Pathology - Member
- Walnut - Member
- Weed - Member